Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How to make Miami University a better campus:

Hey all,

I have thought long and hard about how to make our campus a better place. You may be thinking, "Hey, why are you posting this here instead of being proactive?" Well, I've talked to our Miami University student body president and one who is running for president next term and I hope that they will incorporate my ideas into their term.

Anyways, I write this to prove how easy it is to think of ideas that may better a college community. These ideas that I have are ways to make life more enjoyable while living at college. These ideas will hopefully inspire you, the reader, to think of ways to improve your community, whether it is at college, in the neighborhood, or at work.

My first idea is to replace sugary vending machine drinks with healthier alternatives. The vending machines in academic buildings and dormitories are usually limited to soda, a sport drink, a sugary fruit drink (not juice), and water. I feel that there should be another alternative to these already available beverages. One such drink that I purchased is Everfresh cranberry juice. This cranberry juice has its ingredients listed as: water and high fructose corn syrup as the two main ingredients. The sugar content for this drink is 54 grams. I know this is much less than the sugar content of an average non-diet soda, which is usually 2.5 servings for a 12 ounce bottle (2.5 times the sugar already labeled). Anyways, a great alternative would be an organic juice or a fruit juice that has a high fruit content. Such drinks exist, however, and they may be more expensive that soda or other drinks. However, I support the freedom of choice and I feel that this will benefit everyone on campus who could have access to this change.

My second idea is to have our student center food court called Haines Food Court accept student meals electronically on meal plan cards from the hours of 11am to 12:30pm. This time is specifically allotted for teachers who want to eat on campus at a dining location less crowded with students. I get the concept. Furthermore, I forgot to include that there is a market and small pastry eatery open that takes meal plans, however the pastry eatery has mostly junk and pre-packaged food and the market has the same, except it does have salads and pre-made wraps. However, Haines serves hot food and has a variety of hot food selections. I feel that students would eat a better lunch if they were able to use their meal plan cards at the student center, which is located near the art building, the center for performing arts building, and Shideler Hall, Irvin Hall, Kreager Hall, and Bachelor Hall. Students would benefit from this change.

My third idea would be to have our student activities group called "Afterdark" throw more free broomball and ice skating nights at the Goggin Ice Arena on Friday and Saturday evenings. Broomball is a game that is played on a small ice arena with regular tennis shoes or special foam-soled broomball shoes. The player carries a lacrosse-shaft stick with a rubber trapezoid on the bottom end to smack a ball into a hockey goal. Anyways, the game is tons of fun and is a Miami University tradition. I feel that having a free broomball and ice skating night once a month or so would give students something extra to do on the weekends instead of drinking alcohol. I feel like it would be a great attempt for our school to act on the alcohol board's positive reinforcement to counter alcohol abuse on Miami's campus.

I hope you think about how you can change your community and how you can act on your ideas.

No comments: