Monday, January 15, 2007

Martin Luther King, Bada Bing!

SO, Martin Luther King Day People.

A day to sleep in because you don't have class or a day to wake up and go to class because you were to drunk or high off of your ass to remember that Martin Luther King, Jr. day is a national holiday started in 1986. Still don't believe me, then check out this site
www.martinlutherking.org.

Anyways, MLK day for me... I was proactive! Moreso than the acne festering on your face. I woke up at 8:45 and walked to a local cafe where I literally thought would be hipsters in black jeans and a black turtle neck and red beanie jamming on two lap drums with black round glasses and next to him or her a steaming latte. I couldn't have been more wrong than our country's claim to weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Anyways, I went to Koffenya for the first time. I have been known to ask waiters/waitresses and cashiers what their favorite thing on the menu partially because I have high expectations for a good order, I'm indecisive, and I'm almost always satisfied with what I get except for if there's a hair in my food or if the dish has some form of seafood. The cashier told me a chai tea was good, and I said, "How exotic!" The problem was that I had $3, or enough money to make 3 solid phone calls (.99 cents???) An extremely nice lady next to me thought that I was a cunning young lad (or she pittied me) and gave me an extra $2 to afford anything on the menu. My mommy taught me manners so I tactfully thanked her. I chose a medium chai. I had a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy, kind of like when I got my first balloon hat from Macaroni the Clown. After she generously donated money to my green experience, needless to say on MLK day, I sat down and sipped the hell out of my chai tea like a city slum wino does brown bag booze. I then walked to uptown park where the magic began.

Uptown park has an outdoor stage where the event was held. I didn't yet mention that the skies were grayer than your grandpa Archibald and it was raining "cats and dogs," although I had a hard time finding those creatures. Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity kicked off the memorial and March of an audacious man with a self-evident dream. There were other guest speakers and chorus singers to lighten the mood of an asthetically dreary day, and they did a good job says the boss. The crowd and I pledged our promise to non-violence and acceptance of others and the march began.

It was like leading a herd of cattle to water, let me tell you. People flocked to the town streets with reckless abandon. Today, on our national holiday, we also nationally jay walk. We marched around our small campus, walking past several stationed choruses, until our destined Episcopalian Church. Here, there were small foods, including miniature quiches, Oooh La La! I met many prominent people on campus and people I knew going back to Freshman year. I was even able to recall names! That's my sporadic mind at work. The ceremony was well done, including gospel singing in the church, which is not my area of expertise. I took part in the singing, as did the basketball players I was sitting next to. We sang a song about once being slaves and now being free. I could tell by the looks of peoples faces and the quiet talk that it was a sore subject now turned into a joke by some people, including African Americans! Also, the community gave out two awards to two white people who have advanced diversity acceptance, however I have to say that it is odd that there wasn't an African American who accepted at least one of the two awards. However, I'm sure that the recipients deserved the honor that they received.

Overall, I feel like I am glad that I had the opportunity to be a part of the Oxford community in recognizing a historical man and his daring preaches. Thanks to you, MLK for standing up for what you believe in and showing us all that we can make a difference as individuals. Power to the people! (not a supremacist remark, but a sincere motivational one).

No comments: